spot_img
Friday, April 19, 2024
More
    HomePoliticsUSA: Tulsa massacre more than 100 years ago – court dismisses lawsuit

    USA: Tulsa massacre more than 100 years ago – court dismisses lawsuit

    -

    Viola Ford Fletcher, a survivor of the massacre, with her grandson during an interview in June Viola Ford Fletcher, a survivor of the massacre, with her grandson during an interview in June

    Viola Ford Fletcher, a survivor of the massacre, with her grandson during an interview in June

    Source: AP/Mary Altaffer

    You can listen to our WELT podcasts here

    In order to display embedded content, your revocable consent to the transmission and processing of personal data is required, since the providers of the embedded content as third-party providers require this consent [In diesem Zusammenhang können auch Nutzungsprofile (u.a. auf Basis von Cookie-IDs) gebildet und angereichert werden, auch außerhalb des EWR]. By setting the switch to “on”, you agree to this (which can be revoked at any time). This also includes your consent to the transfer of certain personal data to third countries, including the USA, in accordance with Art. 49 (1) (a) GDPR. You can find more information about this. You can withdraw your consent at any time via the switch and via privacy at the bottom of the page.

    EAn Oklahoma judge has dismissed a lawsuit seeking reparations for survivors and descendants of victims of a 1921 racially motivated massacre. Back then, a white mob in the city of Tulsa killed hundreds of black residents and destroyed what was then America’s most prosperous black business district. The lawsuit was filed by three survivors of the 2020 attack; all are now over 100 years old.

    According to her lawyer, the lawsuit was her last chance to be heard in her lifetime. The plaintiffs – two women and one man – are seeking redress from the city and others for the destruction of the black neighborhood of Greenwood.

    District Judge Caroline Wall dismissed the lawsuit Friday. In a brief justification, she referred to arguments from the city, the regional chamber of commerce and other state and local authorities. Last year, Wall denied their motion to dismiss the lawsuit.

    Tulsa Mayor GT Bynum said in a response the city does not yet have the court’s full decision. The city remains committed to finding the graves of victims of the massacre, supporting economic development in Greenwood County, educating future generations about “the worst event in our community’s history,” and working to ensure that every person lives the have an equal chance at a wonderful life, the mayor said. A lawyer for the plaintiffs did not initially respond to requests for comment on Sunday.

    The victims were never compensated

    The lawsuit was filed in 2020 under a public endangerment law. The massacre has had an impact on the city to this day, it was said to justify it. The basis of the lawsuit was disputed between the plaintiffs and the defendants. A Chamber of Commerce lawyer had said the massacre was horrible but happened 100 years ago. There is no longer any danger to society.

    In the so-called Tulsa Race Massacre, a white mob stormed the city’s Greenwood district. The crowd looted and set fire to shops and homes, killing hundreds of residents. Thousands more were left homeless. The victims were never compensated, neither by the city nor by insurance companies.

    According to the lawsuit, the city actively thwarted survivors’ efforts to rebuild. The lawsuit states that the massacre ultimately led to racially motivated and economic inequalities that still exist today. Among other things, it called for a detailed listing of the damage caused and the assets destroyed, as well as the construction of a hospital and the establishment of a compensation fund for victims.

    Related articles

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Latest posts