It is true that the prices for gas and electricity are currently also falling for basic suppliers. Nevertheless, switching providers can still be worthwhile.
Up until a few months ago, switching gas or electricity providers was hardly profitable. The prices were very high and almost the same for both the basic suppliers and the alternative providers. However, that has since changed. By switching electricity and gas, households can now save up to 1,657 euros again – if they live in a certain federal state. This was shown by an analysis by the comparison portal Verivox.
Who can save the most?
For the comparison, Verivox used a model household: Gas consumption was 20,000 kilowatt hours (kWh) per year and 4,000 kWh for electricity. The price brakes for the types of energy were also taken into account in the calculations.
The result: Households from Thuringia can save up to 689 euros on electricity and up to 968 euros on gas by switching from the basic supplier to a cheaper alternative provider – a total of up to 1,657 euros. Households can use the various comparison portals to find out which electricity and/or gas supplier is most suitable.
The other federal states in comparison:
- Thuringia: up to 1,657 euros
- Bavaria: up to 1,532 euros
- North Rhine-Westphalia: up to 1,525 euros
- Rhineland-Palatinate: up to 1,484 euros
- Saxony-Anhalt: up to 1,408 euros
- Hesse: up to 1,460 euros
- Lower Saxony: up to 1,456 euros
- Saxony: up to 1,450 euros
- Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania: up to 1,401 euros
- Schleswig-Holstein: up to 1,380 euros
- Baden-Württemberg: up to 1,376 euros
- Hamburg: up to 1,317 euros
- Saarland: up to 1,292 euros
- Berlin: up to 1,278 euros
- Brandenburg: up to 1,271 euros
- Bremen: up to 800 euros
Savings potential of the federal states
However, if you don’t want to switch both providers at once or are satisfied with your electricity or gas supplier, you can also save by changing just one option. The following overview shows how much.
If you are satisfied with the service of your supplier and do not want to change, you can use a few tricks to reduce your electricity and gas consumption. How? You will find out in this article.