Columbus Day 2016 is a national holiday in many countries in the Americas and elsewhere which officially celebrates the anniversary of Christopher Columbus’ arrival in and the discovery of the American Continent on October 12, 1492. This day is celebrated as “Columbus Day” in the United States, as “Día de la Raza” in many countries in Latin America and as “Día de la Hispanidad” and “Fiesta Nacional” in Spain, where it is also the religious festivity of la Virgen del Pilar. Get some Columbus Day Quotes, Columbus day wishes, columbus Day images , columbus day status, columbus day messages and columbus day sayings.
Columbus Day Quotes
By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination.
But in truth, should I meet with gold or spices in great quantity, I shall remain till I collect as much as possible, and for this purpose I am proceeding solely in quest of them.
Stood off and on during the night, determining not to come to anchor till morning, fearing to meet with shoals; continued our course in the morning; and as the island was found to be six or seven leagues distant, and the tide was against us, it was noon when we arrived there.
I am a most noteworthy sinner, but I have cried out to the Lord for grace and mercy, and they have covered me completely. I have found the sweetest consolation since I made it my whole purpose to enjoy His marvellous Presence.
As soon as I arrived in the Indies, in the first island which I found, I took some of the natives by force, in order that they might learn and might give me information of whatever there is in these parts. And so it was that they soon understood us, and we them, either by speech or by signs, and they have been very serviceable.
The Indians on board said that thence to Cuba was a voyage in their canoes of a day and a half; these being small dug-outs without a sail. Such are their canoes. I departed thence for Cuba, for by the signs the Indians made of its greatness, and of its gold and pearls, I thought that it must be Cipango.
Columbus Day Wishes
- “There were no mail-order catalogues in 1492. Marco Polo’s journal was the wish book of Renaissance Europe. Then, Columbus sailed the ocean blue and landed in Sears’ basement. Despite all the Indians on the escalator, Columbus’ visit came to be known as a “discovery.”
- “Be a Columbus smell the fragrance of the new lands and discover them.”
- The appeal of travel books is also the sense that you are different, an outsider, almost like the Robinson Crusoe or Christopher Columbus notion of being the first person in a new place.
- My goals are for the U.S. team to get to the second round of the World Cup and to win a championship here in the U.S. with my club team the Columbus Crew.
- Twenty years ago I wanted to move to a nice place so our Charley would grow up a nice boy and learn a profession. But instead we live in a jungle, so he can only be a wild animal. D’you think I picked the East Side like Columbus picked America?
Columbus Day Images
Columbus Day Status Messages
- In fourteen hundred ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue, And found this land, land of the Free, Beloved by you, beloved by me
- Every one of us has in him a continent of undiscovered character. Blessed is he who acts the Columbus to his own soul.
- In all parts of the Old World, as well as of the New, it was evident that Columbus had kindled a fire in every mariner’s heart. That fire was the harbinger of a new era, for it was not to be extinguished. ~Charles Kendall Adams
- To Everyone Across Canada,
Hope You Have A Great Thanksgiving Day.
To Our American Friends,
Happy Columbus Day.
- – Imagination has brought mankind through
the dark ages to its present state of civilization.
Imagination led Columbus to discover America.
Imagination led Franklin to discover electricity.
- Gold is a treasure, and he who possesses it does all he wishes to in this world, and succeeds in helping souls into paradise. — Christopher Columbus
Columbus Day Sayings
The Pinta, Nina, Santa Maria were the three, which sailed the deep blue sea, and discovered this great land of the free
Over the horizon his ship did sail…Come rain, come storm, come hail..Christopher Columbus would prevail
In all parts of the Old World, as well as of the New, it was evident that Columbus had kindled a fire in every mariner’s heart. That fire was the harbinger of a new era, for it was not to be extinguished. ~Charles Kendall Adams
The daring mariner shall urge far o’er
The Western wave, a smooth and level plain,
Albeit the earth is fashioned like a wheel.
These people are very unskilled in arms… with 50 men they could all be subjected and made to do all that one wished.
I propose to construct a new chart for navigating, on which I shall delineate all the sea and lands of the Ocean in their proper positions under their bearings; and further, I propose to prepare a book, and to put down all as it were in a picture, by latitude from the equator, and western longitude.
Columbus had all the spirit of a crusader, and, at the same time, the investigating nature of a modern man of science.
~ Edmund Arthur Helps