As we all know that “Good things come in small packages”. But have we ever wondered just how miraculous or how mighty these small packages might be. Flax Seeds comes with some similar powers. Flax seeds are one of the most nutrient-dense foods. The seeds come from flax – one of the oldest crops in the world. Flax is known as “Alsi” in Hindi. Just a small teaspoon of Flax Seeds can do wonders for the human body – high amounts of fiber, antioxidants, omega 3 fatty acids, etc. one single tablespoon of Flax Seeds contains 2 grams of polyunsaturated fatty acids and 2 grams of fiber with just 37 calories.
Here we are listing the amazing benefits that Flax Seeds have;
- High in phytochemicals and antioxidants – Lingan, an estrogen-like chemical compound that scavenges the free radicals of the body is present in high content in Flax. It contains about 75 – 800 times more lignans than any other plant-based food. Lignans help in promoting fertility and reduce the Peri-menopausal syndrome.
2.Helps in fighting Cancer – the antioxidants present in flaxseeds help in fighting cancer and heart diseases. Recent studies show that consuming Flax seeds also help in preventing prostate, breast and colon cancer. The flax seeds also help in the prevention of tumors forming in the new blood cell. As already mentioned the seeds contain omega 3 fatty acid which is known as ALA, which inhibits tumor incidence and interferes with the growth and spread of cancer in the body. Its consumption also increases the chance of survival in breast cancer patients.
3.Improves Digesting Power – Flaxseeds consists of both soluble and insoluble fiber. The fibers present helps in the movement of the food through the intestine. Also, it helps in the absorption of nutrients in the intestine. The soluble fiber dissolves in water and creates a gel-like substance which helps in giving a fuller feeling to the stomach.
- Prevention of cardiovascular diseases – the amino and omega3 fatty acids which are present in Flax Seeds are significantly capable of lowering the blood pressure. A diet which is high in flex seed can also help in preventing hardening of the arteries and also prevents the deposition of plaque in the arteries. Consuming Flex seeds also help in treating the irregular heartbeat.
- Keeps Cholesterol in control – Researchers claim that having flaxseeds on daily basis can reduce the cholesterol level to a significant level. Omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, and lignan (the main contents of the seeds) work together to reduce the cholesterol.
- Controls Diabetes – research studies have proved that daily intake of food which rich content of lignan, (like Flex Seeds), maintains the sugar level in the body by improving the insulin sensitivity. According to the research, people who have consumed flaxseed regularly for around 12 weeks have shown a significant drop in their insulin level.
- Helps in fighting Inflammation – Inflammation is mostly caused due to the deficiency of Omega 3 fatty acids in the body. Flax seeds which are rich content in omega 3 fatty acids are the key ingredient which helps in fighting the inflammation. ALA and Lignan which are found in abundance in Flax seeds help in reducing the inflammation by blocking the release of certain pro-inflammatory agents.
- Reduction of Hot Flashes – studies show that the consumption of 2 tablespoons of Flax seeds can decrease the chances of hot flashes by women by half. It is a potential measure to manage the premenopausal and postmenopausal symptoms in women.
- Healthy digestion – High level of Omega 3 and lignans together lead to a healthy bowel system, which also helps in getting better skin and improving the skin health. If we notice we will see Flaxseed oil being added to many skin care products like shower gels, moisturizers, and sunscreen.
- Helps in the healing process – intake of Flax seeds increases the healing process of the wounds. It is known for its high inflammatory levels. One can minimize skin irritations, rashes, inflammations, and redness of the skin by regular consumption of Flax seeds. It also helps in preventing the possibility of acne, dermatitis, and psoriasis.
- Moisturises the skin – dry skin can lead to severe conditions like eczema, psoriasis and other signs of skin aging. The essential fatty acids present in the flaxseeds helps in keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized. When flax seeds taken regularly it helps in increasing the production of body’s natural oil. It also locks the moisture into the skin and helps in keeping the wrinkles at bay. Daily message with flaxseed oil also helps the irritants from entering into the skin.
- Prevention of Skin Cancer – Researchers have found out that regular intake of Flax seeds helps in the prevention of skin damage after its prolonged exposure in the sun. Also the antioxidants present in the seeds helps in fighting free radicals and prevents skin cancer.
- Helps in controlling acne – Flaxseeds helps in controlling the production Sebum or any oily substance that is present in the skin glands. And thus, prevents acne. Eating 1to 2 tablespoons of milled flaxseeds daily will help in achieving a healthy and younger looking skin.
- Scrubbing – one can also make a homemade scrub from grounding Flax seeds to exfoliate the skin and give it a younger look. Mix flaxseed powder with yogurt, honey and mix well. Use this scrub on alternate days for better and healthy looking skin.
- Healthy Hair – flax seeds also prevent hair breakage, and dandruff. These seeds are fully packed with protein, calcium, zinc, magnesium, iron and omega. Hence a daily dose of flaxseed can make our hair healthy, strong and beautiful – just like the way we always wanted them.
The beneficial factors of Flax seeds are many. As we can already realise, that it is a power packed item which is beneficial to us in every possible way! However, the beneficial factors of Flax seeds are not known to many, hence it is important to be aware about it and make others aware too. There are various groceries offers in the market which helps in making people aware about the same so that more and more people can be benefited from these miraculous seeds.